Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Rake's Progress


.
There's an opera called The Rake's Progress, about a man who gets lured away to the big city. Away from the innocence of the countryside. He leads a debaucherous life in the city and dies in an insane asylum.

My blog is short this morning because this rake (noun - a dissolute or profligate person, esp. a man who is licentious; roué) is busy doing some paid work (writing). I've been lured away to work for a big city client. I've forsaken my leaf rake for the intoxicating taste of money. I've turned my back on leisure, at least for two days, and I fully expect to pay for my debaucherous sins, likely in an insane asylum. Ha! They'll never take me to Jemseg!

I would ask that none of you report my transgressions to the Royal Order of Leisurologists; the society that I founded in 1992 which has an impressive membership of one.

Trust me, work itself is enough of a punishment.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should concider teaching leisurology. It would be a benifit to mankind.
    leisurology 101 (the art of boycotting everything evil)
    leisurology 102 (windsurfing around the maritimes)
    leisurology 103 (how to get your wife to let you be a leisurologist)...ect

    you would be passing on your skills to a younger generation, furthering the art of leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the-mom-who-also-has-to-send-smoke-signalsNovember 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM

    Good luck on your brave venture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say work never killed anybody, but why take a chance, eh?

    ReplyDelete