Friday, June 26, 2009

Define 'Their'



I wanted to take a picture of a guy in Seal Harbor (Maine) this morning. He was using an orbital sander with a buffing attachment. He was waxing the hull of a boat and the reflection was delicious. In the background was a tranquil Seal Harbor, summer home of Martha Stewart. Our brief conversation went as follows:

Me: Excuse me, would it be okay if I took your picture?

Him: I'm working. You're on vacation. I don't think so.

Ouch. That one stung for a while, but I got over it. If an American asked me the same question, I'd be delighted to let him make his image. I'd like to invite all Americans to invade New Brunswick and take pictures of me at work.

This got me thinking about the buffing curmudgeon, and I concluded that there are a lot of miserable, unhappy people in this world. There's nothing that I can do to help them, I can only account for myself. I hope that Martha runs over him in her Hinckley Picnic boat...that would make me less miserable.

Later in the day, I saw the bumper sticker that's featured above. It makes me wonder if Americans, in general, have a bit of an attitude regarding those from other countries. Maybe it's just 'buffy' and the joker who drove the truck that had the 'our oil, their sand' sticker. I'd like to see him drive down downtown Bagdhad with that sticker on his HumVee!

I assume that he's referring to the sands of Arabia, Iraq, or Iran. Oh jeez, you don't think that he means the tar sands of Alberta do you??

As soon as I cross the border in St.Stephen, I say that we lock the doors behind me. No more waxing ineloquently for me, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment