Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Man of Pause...Man Of Flaws


.
I'm probably going to be living in the dog house for posting this picture, and I deserve it. In fact, I expect to deserve it, because I'm well read.
.
As a leisurologist, I know a lot about a lot of things, with the exception being work. If I was to be given an honorary doctorate in any subject, it would have to be for my study of men of pause (leisurologists). I'm not sure what university would grant me one, though I noticed that the University of Waterloo in Ontario has an Academy of Leisure Sciences. At least they take my profession seriously.
.
I was both delighted and horrified to discover that there are a number of books that appear to relate to my area of expertise, some of them written by members of the Academy. In no particular order, here are a few titles that caught my eye:
.
A Handbook of Leisure Studies
.
Constraints To Leisure, Leisure Education I: A Manual of Activities and Resources
.
Caregiving - Leisure and Aging
.
21st Century Leisure: Current Issues, Second Edition
.
Volunteering as Leisure/Leisure as Volunteering: An International Assessment
.
The Diverse Worlds of Unemployed Adults: Consequences for Leisure, Lifestyle, and Well-being
.
Between Work and Leisure: A Study of the Common Ground of Two Separate Worlds
.
Leisure and Leisure Services in the 21st Century
.
Leisure and Aging: Ulyssean Living in Later Life
.
A Social Psychology of Leisure
.
Leisure in Your Life: An Exploration
.
I take particular delight that many of these books are in their second edition, meaning that the authors don't fully understand the complexity of the subject matter, and some tweaking was necessary. We, the class of leisurologists, are a little known breed, foregoing material possessions and Katherine Karnes Munn prints for a life of free time.
.
I used to believe that I was special, but these books can't all be about me. It would appear that I'm part of a larger group which has been well documented by numerous authors. This makes me feel cheap, like a corporate pawn. Is this how smokers, SUV drivers and iPhone users feel?
.
I'm not about to change, however. I like being a man of pause, man of flaws. It's who I am.
.
I've enjoyed my Ulyssean lifestyle so far, and I'll continue to in later life if my wife doesn't kill me first. Now, I must get back to my book. I found it in Chapters, right next to the Stephen King novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment