Friday, September 11, 2009

Cross Roads



.
Les Iles de la Madeleine are a pleasant mix of sandy dunes and hillocks. There are no mountains here, just bulbous and undulating hills. You might think that they were made of grass until one of them meets the sea where its rocky heart is exposed.

It seems as though each island, and there are a few substantial islands in this archipelago, has a cross on top of a large hill. There's a church on Cap-Aux-Meules (the main commercial island) that's the size of a small mountain. I'm told that it's one of the largest wooden churches anywhere. I have yet to go inside this church, though entering church has never been one of my defining characteristics.

The hill in this image, where the cross rests, is called Les Demoiselles and it's one of my favourite hikes, mostly because it takes a scant five minutes to summit (supplemental oxygen not necessary). A red haired fox, no relation to Megan, accompanied me part way up yesterday morning. The company was appreciated since all others, save for a few fishermen, were asleep.

Les Demoiselles are best viewed before sunrise. I made my way there around 6 a.m. and watched the sun pierce the horizon. Glorious! For me it was a religious experience, of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment