Sunday, September 20, 2009

You Tubers Sprouting In The Sand




It's not often that I quote the Pope, but here goes:

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."

Of course I'm not quoting Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict the Egg, or Pope Pius III. Pope Pius reigned for a scant 27 days before kicking the bucket. It's still not clear whether Pius died from leg ulcer complications or if he succumbed to death by poison.
.
"Pick your poison Pius."
.
"I'll have the 1502 Merlot please. Could I bother you to show me the tasting notes? There's something in this vintage that I can't quite identify."
.
Twenty seven days is not a long time to captain the Catholic ship. Prince Charles will be lucky to get twenty seven days on the British throne, since it looks like Liz is going to live to be 173 years old (one year longer than her mom's Guinness Book Of World Records worthy performance). Kim Campbell, former Prime Minister and spiritual mother of Canada, reigned for 132 days before self destructing, or was she poisoned by Brian Mulroney's ulcerous legacy? I'd say a lot of both.
.
So which Pope have I quoted? The answer is Alexander Pope, the noted eighteenth century English poet.
.
It's true that a little learning is a dangerous thing. I'm not qualified to speak about a lot of learning as I've never ridden any of those trains to the end of their respective tracks. I'm not sure that I was ever meant to be an expert on one subject as I'm too distracted by the scenery along the way.
.
What's the definition of adult ADHD?
.
Recently my digital camera died and I was forced/coerced into buying a new one. My new Nikon gives me a superpower that had hitherto eluded me...the ability to make HD movies. I know nothing about making movies, except for that one movie I made in my early college years. I was young, naive, and needed the money. I never should have let Tommy Lee talk me into it!
.
Kidding.
.
So I've got this wonderful new camera that opens up a world of film-making possibilities. It's an empowering feeling, knowing that an Oscar may be in my future. My first short film is called 'The Goblet Limbo'. Not one to be modest, I Clint Eastwooded my way into the movies, holding both the starring role and directing. It's an unforgiving burden, directing and starring, but I accept it as the fate of a shallow-drinking out-of-control freak.
.
If you want to see proof that a little learning is a dangerous thing, or alternately what happens when you drink from a shallow Pierian spring, visit my first ever You Tube video. I suspect that this video may be shown in university lecture halls around the country. Psych 101.
.
Class, watch this forty-five second video. This is a textbook example of Adult ADHD, and a particularly fine showcase of hyperactive behaviour. For the record, the man in this video went on to lead a semi-normal life as a blogger, though he never fully integrated into society.

1 comment: