Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Postponed But Not Cancelled


.
Here's some advice that will be sure to please your mother: buy her flowers, cook her breakfast, give her a foot massage, feed her bonbons, vacuum her house, call her, send her a nice card or somehow let her know that she's appreciated. Do this on Mother's Day.
.
Now, do you really want to show her how much you love her?
.
Do some or all of the above on a day that isn't Mother's Day (don't do it the on the day after Mother's Day, you forgetful dolt). If you want to make someone feel like they're part of the crowd, then do what you're 'supposed' to do. Follow the herd. If you want momsie to feel like she's someone special, then do something extraordinary (and refer to her as momsie). There's plenty of opportunity, i.e. the other 363 days of the calendar year.
.
In all fairness to you, I should post this blog entry in August or November or January, when it really matters. You've probably got today already under wraps. I've felt for years that it's just guilty sons and daughters that make a big fuss over Mother's Day. A gift on Mother's Day will be appreciated, there's no doubt, so go for it anyway.
.
I do challenge you to do something nice, for the maternal unit, out of the blue. It will mean more when it's not expected. I feel the same way about Christmas. A gift or kind gesture will be better appreciated when it isn't part of a commercial assault, which is what the non-Christian aspects of Christmas have become. Give someone a Christmas gift this week, wrap it in Christmas paper, then use a seismograph to gauge the reaction. The same goes for any Hallmark holiday. You'll be a god-like hero.
.
Now, I have a confession to make. I've been doing some work for a company in Minnesota lately. I know, I know...I'm supposed to be a leisurologist. The work that I'm doing is writing and I'm conducting my business from a sofa, so it doesn't feel like work. My feeling is that any business that can be conducted from a couch, can't really be work in the traditional sense. For this reason, I'm not turning in my card to the Leisurologist's Union of North America (LUNA) ...besides, I'm the president of the union and its sole member. A strike to protest my paid labour might be in order though.
.
The company that I've been writing for is called Gently Spoken, and they have a product line called Eat Your Peas. If you visit their web site, you'll notice that they offer many products that celebrate people and friendships. They haven't, for the most part, tied themselves to special dates, instead they've focused on special people. Mother's Day is but one day a year, but mother is a 365 day woman. If you want to tell mother, or anyone else, how much you love and/or appreciate them, then you might consider doing it with one of Eat Your Peas 3-minute inspirational books. Eat Your Peas may seem like an odd choice for a product line name, but I think it's brilliant. There's a wonderful story that explains how the company was born. The story offers a great lesson in love, caring and making a difference in someone's life. It will take one minute to read, have you got one minute?
.
Mother made a difference in your life...umm, like, she gave you one. Now use that gift wisely!
.
Getting back to LUNA for a moment, don't you think that LUNA seems like strange acronym for my group of one, since I don't look like Luna, the goddess of the moon. I don't feel like the goddess of anything. Borrowing the words of Lever Brothers, the oft quoted soap-making conglomerate, 'I've got 2000 body parts'. Going one step further, one of those body parts singles me out from the parade of goddesses (hint: rhymes with Venus). I probably should have gone with my other choice...the Leisurologist's Union of the Maritime Provinces (LUMP).
.
Happy Mother's Day, mom. I hope the bouquet of tulips lasts a long time, they're symbolic in that sense. The gourmet cupcake, well that's pure tradition...enjoyed for one day only. There will be more cupcakes, and you won't be waiting a year to enjoy them!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as a mum, I say right on Mr. Varty!

    Luna is a little too ethereal for you. I vote LUMP.

    Kitts

    ReplyDelete