Saturday, May 30, 2009

Spending Time In The Kingston Pen



It's Saturday morning and I'm off to see my friends at the Kingston Pen. The Kinston Peninsula, that is. Kingston is a loyalist town about fifty minutes from my home and it's the commercial centre of a pretty peninsula. The drive there is long, gorgeous and winding. The road follows the sumptuous Belleisle Bay for much of the way. The Belleisle is a moody piece of water, never the same twice. It's always a pleasure to grace her shores.
.
At the end of my journey I'll find myself at the Kingston Farmers Market. Compared to many farmers markets, the Kingston market is small but it offers a wonderful balance between handmade crafts and homemade foods. There's an array of ethnic cooking which scents the air with smells of far places like India, Jamaica and Quispamsis. There are also meats, vegetables, herbs and mini donuts (fingers crossed).
.
There are two markets in Kingston, one of which I've boycotted for life. I won't go into the details, but let's just say that there was contraband maple syrup involved. Contraband, by definition, means goods prohibited by law. I was served diluted maple syrup at 'the original Kingston market', even though the sign said 'pure maple syrup'. I live by one law and one law alone...'thou shall not bastardize my maple syrup.' It should be the eleventh commandment...the one that other fellow forgot.
.
I would encourage everyone to visit the Kingston Farmers Market, if possible. If not, then go to a farmers market near you. Get to know your local farmers, support them. They're going to be the most important members of society in the coming few decades. For now they struggle, but their day will come.
.
"Thou shall buy from local vendors."
.
That would be my twelfth commandment. Actually, I'd get rid of the tenth commandment 'thou shall not covet thy neighbour's wife'. It's not an issue where I live.






1 comment:

  1. Travel with the sea sites please contact :- There New York city jet ski rental and the car services with the intention of are portal and until the end of time manufacture out accurate orders. The jet ski rental new york city will be extremely universal in addition to New York city tours in the make use of may contain known that tag of its possess. The rise in addition to reputation has been Manhattan boat tour as a convinced good marketplace for a profit with the intention cards.

    ReplyDelete