Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Goodbye Manhattan, Hello Optimism


My first trip to Manhattan happened in 1988 when I came into the city for an evening with some colleagues from work. Yup, my dirty past included a job or two. I ashamed by it, but I was young and I needed the money.
.
My visit was a blur at the time, not having a clue where in the city I was. I'm pretty sure that I was in Greenwich Village, at least that's what the voice in my head told me. I've probably been to New York City ten times since that first visit and the voice always tells me the same thing...
.
Escape!
.
The voice gets fainter and fainter with each successive trip. I'm ready to leave NYC this morning, though I hardly feel like I'm escaping. In the past I truly felt like I had freed myself from this city's talons and my saviour had been a jet which whisked me away. You won't hear this too often from my lips, but thank you Air Canada.
.
Often when I go on vacation I return to my home with a head swirling with ideas. This visit is no different. I am inspired to go home and make some changes. Most of my inspiration involves changes in interior design to my home. I'm suffering from potterybarnitis. I was also mightily inspired by a store called Restoration Hardware. Crate and Barrel always gives me a few ideas.
.
I knew this town would turn him metrosexual.
.
No, I'm still a plaid wearing red neck from small town, back woods New Brunswick. Some things will never change. It's interesting to note that I don't want to buy much from these companies...I want to go home and build things myself. This separates me from the metrosexual who needs to be pampered. I want splinters in my non-manicured hands. I want to get dirty and industrious, and I will. Usually the thought of November and pending winter gets me down. Currently I'm quite optimistic.
.
"Now is the winter of our discontent,
Made glorious summer by this city of New York."
quote attributed to William Shakespeare and Ian Varty
.
Sorry, Mr.Shakespeare, but I had to put my own twist on you and Dick The Third.
.
I'm looking forward to the next few months, though if I want to look back, particularly at my seven days in Manhattan, I can always look at the many images I took/made while here. I've put them on-line into a Picasa web album. If you're interested, then you can view them at http://picasaweb.google.ca/theleisurologist/IanNYC?authkey=Gv1sRgCJvX1LHzru66tAE#

No comments:

Post a Comment