Saturday, October 17, 2009

Vivian's Gift To The World



Every once in a while I come across something so compelling that it makes me question my entire vision of self. The last time this happened was when I realized that my life was not complete without an Easy-Bake oven, something that's yet to be rectified. In the latest go round it's the photography of Vivian Maier (1926-2009) that's got me all worked up.

Vivian Maier was a photographer in Chicago whose primary body of work documented the 'real' Chicago, at the street level. Vivian was a street photographer. I am anything but, and that's one of the reasons that I appreciate Vivian's gift. I'd like my images to be more like hers or, at the very least, I'd like to grow a sixth eye that could see the art of the street and its people.

I'm inspired by her photographs and her story, both of which you can see here. Be sure to read the short story that appears under her picture. It's one of those tales that's both sad and uplifting. The person who 'discovered' Vivian's photographs never had the opportunity to thank her for what she did for his life. Think about this for a moment.

Are there people in your life who inspire you? Do they know this?

How would they feel if they received a note from you, out of the blue, telling them how much you admired their work? It's easy not to do this because it's always easier to do nothing than something. Like Vivian, they will die and the opportunity will be lost.

So, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment