Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gee! Oh!! Graphic!!!



Last week I exhibited an image of myself that generated some discussion.

Was that the black & white image you sent to Playgirl? You know, the one with the Ski-Doo, the rope and the snowboard.

Shush! What happens in Jemseg stays in Jemseg! And no, that's not the one. I'm referring to the self portrait that went along with my blog entitled 'We're All Brilliant Women'. That was the blog about that Halifax Broad who writes with profane self deprecating eloquence.

Oh yes, I remember that one. So what about it?

Well, my son saw my self portrait and asked me if it was inspired by the portrait that National Geographic photographer, Steve McCurry, took more than two decades ago of the Afghan girl. That picture, and the story of the remarkable reunion of photographer and subject, can be found on National Geographic's web site, or follow the link I just provided. I'll admit that some of my links are frivolous...this one is not.

I agree. It's quite a story and offers some insight into life in war torn Afghanistan as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think I like the original photograph better. I don't know why, her hair maybe.

    Can't wait to see the "20 years later" of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In many ways, that is the twenty years later picture! Hell, it's the thirty years later picture!!

    ReplyDelete